Tuesday, May 22, 2007

summer fun

This is a little update for all of you out there who have been dieing to know how I'll be spending my summer months (I realize people have been losing sleep over it and checking this blog many times a day looking for an update. I'm sorry about that.). Actually, one of the reasons I'm writing this post is to practice one of my summer goals. As many of you are aware, I'm a computer science major. As such, I'm a bit of a nerd. Not nearly as much as most cs majors but that's not saying much. Anyway, I've decided to learn the Dvorak keyboard layout this summer. As far as I know it's pretty much the nerdiest thing you can do. Here's a picture of the layout.



It's supposed to be more efficient and easier on your fingers than the traditional Qwerty layout designed to slow down the typist and avoid hitting letters together on the typewriter. Basically, I'm learning to type all over again and I need practice. Anyway, all of the above post was written quite a while ago. I was at work and then needed to actually do some work. so now, I'm sitting in the car on my way to Disneyland. I just set up Dvorak on the lappy so I can continue the goal. This is a little more challenging since the letters are traditional on the keyboard on this one. Anyway again, back to the update. This summer I will continue my work at my current job of almost two years. That's working for the office of information technology at BYU over the computer rental program, electronic surplus, and the computer kiosks, and billed printing on campus. That's about 28 hours a week so I'm supplementing that that with a second job working for a company that buys a lot of our surplus stuff and sells it, among other things. I'm helping them do general warehousing and I'll also be helping them in an almost consultant type role. I'll help them make their process more efficient and write some programs to track their inventory and some other things. I'm also working on making a website for my buddy Joe Harding's side business of selling ties. That should be fun.

So I guess I should stay fairly busy this summer. Angel is taking her final classes this summer at UVSC/UVU/UVHS. Next year Angel will start her career as the best elementary teacher ever. She'll be teaching 4th grade in Saratoga Springs as an intern. I'm not kidding, she really will be pretty much the best teacher that ever was. She has been doing a permanent sub job at an elementary school by our house working with autistic kids and has loved it. She’s amazing.
This Post is actually lots of posts all in one. We’ve now made it through a couple of wonderful days at Disneyland and one day at the beach. We’re sitting on a plane and being glad we decided to fly back instead of driving. That was a good decision. I would report on the trip but I don’t really feel like it right now. So maybe instead I’ll just end this painfully long post. The end.

1 comment:

crazy lady said...

Wow! I had no idea there was an alternate keyboard option out there! Kind of like a parallel universe? It's too bad they don't teach that instead of the traditional one. I'm afraid I'm too old of a dog to learn new tricks like that. But, you go guy!I've never known you to care much about what others think nerdy or not...
I agree that Angel will be a fantastic teacher. Thanks for taking me to the airport. See you there again in 10 days eh?